Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Caricature

Name: William Hawkins

Definition of character: Hawkins was neither a tall man nor imposing. He was neither skinny nor strong. He was also a pleasant looking man with a round pot belly which jiggled as he walked. He was not a young man but neither old. He seemed of the middle age variety. Hawkins did not come across as a sincere man but rather pompous.

Physical Description: He wore a brown hat and spectacles. He wore an old looking suit but did not seem of upper class, nor did he look like very wealthy or well to do.

Characteristic: He had an odd suspicious chuckle to him, and he laughed at seemingly everything, almost as though he was trying to please Pip. Always referred to Pip as “my boy”.

Circumstances: Hawkins shows up at the Gargery household after claiming to have heard about Mrs. Joe’s death and claims to be a long lost relative. (It is later found out that he is a fraud, and he was only waiting for the opportunity to meet Pip regarding the fortune and steal it.)

Dialogue
Hawkins: Your parents would be proud to see you as such a fine young gentleman
Pip: I’m sure (bluntly)
Hawkins: My boy, do you have any tea?
Pip: None at the moment
Hawkins: Ah I guess this wine will do
Pip: I guess so
Hawkins: So how is my fortunate boy doing?
Pip: Excuse me?
Hawkins: Never mind that

by Umesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment